3/16/09

Debating with Chris...

I love teaching Sunday School with Chris. Chris, is just one of those guys that is comfortable in his skin. He is incredibly intelligent and one of the most faithful men I have ever met. He has a great sense of humor and we mesh well together. On any given Sunday with Chris I can go into that room knowing that I will at least learn one new thing. He is just one of those people that is full of knowledge and wants everyone to know all that he knows. It is never dull around Chris!

The best thing about teaching with Chris is he LOVES to debate and we all know I LOVE to argue so this makes a great combination. Now most of the time he wants to debate things I cant even begin to understand nor do I think I WANT to understand. See Chris has an analytical mind, a clinical and unfeeling mind and I of course am a more of a feeling type person. According to Chris he can move through life without having any feelings. This is my favorite thing to debate with him! He feels things he just doesn't want to admit it! Right Chris? *wink*

So where am I going with this? Well, yesterday we were debating whether God "calls" you to something. For example if a minister is "called" into the ministry or if they just want to be or choose a minister. It was a fun debate and I wont bore you with all the back and forth of it all but it just so happened that I stumbled upon this verse today...

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. ~Romans 8:28

Do you think God led me to that verse today? I'll just leave you with that thought! *snicker*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Katrina, it's good that you enjoy debate when you work with Chris. It's the only way I've survived marriage with him.

Of course, you know that verse is only going to open a new can of worms. And, honestly, it even tempts ME to debate with you! LOL I'm afraid I'm in agreement with Chris on the 'calling' issue, at least, at the core.

I tend to think that the purpose to which every Christian is called is to share Christ. How we do that depends in large part on our sprititual gifts. Those who choose to serve naturally gravitate towards those positions that allow us to use our spiritual gifts the best. I've been around many a minister that, frankly, I'd find it hard to believe were 'called' to be such.

However, I will give you an intriguing fire-back with Chris. He's a Calvinist. Just run with that idea in conjunction with choice versus determination. :)

Chris Musgrove said...

Your comments are very sweet. Thank you. You are a Joy to work with as well.

Now I have to comment on this one.
I assume you read chapters 8 and 9, in context right?

God calls the chosen to be his followers. It is not a calling to a vocation, but a calling to serve Him.

Those that he chose will answer the call to follow Him, and they will love Him. When they do this good things will be done.
Now read vs 29 and 30 if you haven't already.

28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[j] who[k] have been called according to his purpose. 29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Do you think God led me to that verse today? Not only did He lead you to this passage, He predestined from the beginning of time. So that you could learn and grow (you learn even if you disagree) closer to Him. Bringing Him glory, this is good.

Katrina said...

hehehe... I knew that would get ya going again! and again I will state my opinion... for what its worth!

I think in my case I dont take the word "calling" aas literal. I think that if God places something in your heart and you follow that then you are following your "calling". For example my "calling" is to be a mom. God put that in my heart from a very young age and I think thats my "calling".

I do agree that there are ministers out there that treat their ministry as a "job" but I also believe that God does "call" some to the ministry by placing that in their heart. Not everyone in the ministry is "called" hehe

I tell ya what though. I am going to be one smart cookie after debating with Chris and Shelley! I will definately learn something from them!

Anonymous said...

Aargh! Lost my post.

Anyway, again, you're a good sport. I try hard not to debate with people too much, but when they open themselves up for it.... LOL

You're great, and I'm glad you know not to take debating personally. It ultimately should always be a tool to find truth. :)